I really love marshmallows. I am that person who puts equal amounts marshmallows and ice cream in her sundaes. When I am craving something sweet, I will sometimes put M&M’s or chocolate chips in a bowl with marshmallows and eat it as if it were trail mix!
This is a simple s’more treat that I came up with when I needed a really quick dessert to bring to a get together, and I didn’t feel like baking anything. You could make it to suit any holiday depending on what sprinkles you put on top, but s’mores do seem to be “summer” food, and they are fitting for a 4th of July party.
The whole process takes less than five minutes, so let me walk you through it.
1. Place graham crackers on a microwave-safe plate and top with each cracker with a regular marshmallow.
2. Microwave for between 15-20 seconds, depending on your microwave. You want the marshmallows to just begin to puff up and expand, so keep your eye on them since you might need to stop the microwave early.
3. Place another graham cracker on top of the marshmallow, gently pushing down so the marshmallow just comes to the edges (if you press too hard it will squish out).
4. Place some chocolate chips in a heavy duty (freezer weight) plastic bag and microwave to melt. I recommend starting with 30 seconds and going from there.
5. Snip the corner off of the bag and squeeze the chocolate onto half of the s’more. Covering only half of the s’more allows you to eat it without getting your hands covered in chocolate. Also, I think it is just the right amount of chocolate. If there is too much chocolate, you can’t taste the marshallow!
6. Before the chocolate hardens, decorate with sprinkles to match your theme. Of course, sprinkles aren’t necessary, but they are more festive and look better than just plain chocolate.
Once the chocolate hardens, you can set them on top of each other without ruining them. However, my kids couldn’t wait for the chocolate to harden before digging in!
Another fun idea would be to use red or blue candy melts instead of the chocolate and then use white star sprinkles for a really celebratory treat for the 4th of July!